Car Servicing – The Advantages Of Digital Servicing Records (DSR)
The Importance Of Good Service History
Traditionally, service records of vehicles are maintained as paper records at the garage where you get your car serviced. You get a stamp and a brief entry on your service book as evidence of service or repairs.
Well-maintained cars command a premium in the market. Most used-car buyers check the service history to ensure that the vehicle is well maintained. They can also confirm that the vehicle has not gone through any major accidents or breakdowns. As the service book can be falsified, most buyers prefer to take the service history from the garage for verification. Verifying the service history also helps buyers detect tampered or replaced odometers.
If you have relocated or if you use different garages for service, getting a service history can become a problem with paper service records. It can also be time-consuming process. The inability to provide a verifiable service history may result in your getting a lower value than what your car is worth. A DSR solves all these problems and makes things easier for both you and the buyer.
What is a DSR?
Unlike paper service records, a digital service record is maintained in the manufacturer’s computer database. The database keeps the service history of the vehicle, including the mileage and the place and type of service performed. This record is updated whenever the service is carried out at a dealer or an authorised garage.
A car owner or the prospective buyer can easily take a hard copy of the service history from any authorised dealer. Most manufacturers also allow customers to view or print the service history from their web portal.
Why Is A Digital Service History Superior?
A DSR gives you the following advantages.
- It maintains detailed records of your vehicle in a central database.
- You can easily access those records whenever you need it.
- It is more secure when compared to the paper service history, which can be falsified or tampered with.
- It allows manufacturers to send text message or email reminders to you when service is due.
- It makes it easier for you to obtain warranty repairs. New car warranties are subject to proper and timely service. The dealer can instantly validate this if service records can be quickly accessed. The reliability of the system makes the warranty approval process easier for both you and the dealer. You get quicker authorisation for warranty repairs.
- It gives you a better resale value. As every service, MOT and repair is recorded along with mileage, the DSR gives more confidence to the prospective buyer when you wish to sell your car. This translates into better resale value. According to Mazda, the difference can be as high as £1,500 for an average car. You can imagine the difference it could make for high-end cars like the Volkswagen, Mercedes or Audi.
At Volksmaster, we fully support your vehicle’s digital service history. You will get a hard copy of the updated service history and you can verify its accuracy. You can also obtain a copy from an authorised dealer anywhere in the country. If you live in or around Manchester and your car needs a service, call one of our garages in Oldham or Bury for an appointment. Enjoy the benefits of specialist and convenient service, quality spares and friendly staff while getting dealer-equivalent service at a lower cost.
Arranging Your Service
Drop your car off
Simply drop your car off with us between 8am and 10am and in most cases your vehicle will be ready for collection the same day between 3.30 and 5.30. Outside these hours you are welcome to park.
Wait with your car
Most servicing and repair work can be done while you wait. If this is your preference we have a superb waiting area equipped with free hot and cold drinks and a interesting viewing area where you can watch our trained technicians working on your vehicle.
If your vehicle needs to stay with us for 1 day or longer then you are able to pre-book one of our courtesy vehicles to keep you mobile.
Pick up / drop off
The ultimate hassle free solution; one of our drivers will arrange to collect your vehicle from your home or place of work at a pre-arranged time and then return your vehicle when the work is complete. Our service advisors will contact you when the vehicle arrives on site during the day to discuss the progress of the work and then advise you of the time you can expect your vehicle back. Contact our service advisors for more details.