Car Servicing – The Advantages Of Digital Servicing Records (DSR)
A history of timely service at a good garage helps you get better value when you sell your vehicle. Most car manufacturers are now offering what is known as a digital service record (DSR). If you are not taking advantage of this, it’s time to start now. A digital service history is far superior to the service stamp that you get on your service book. Read on to understand how a digital service history can make a significant difference.
The Importance Of Good Service History
Traditionally, service records of vehicles are maintained as paper records at the garage where you get your car serviced. You get a stamp and a brief entry on your service book as evidence of service or repairs.
Well-maintained cars command a premium in the market. Most used-car buyers check the service history to ensure that the vehicle is well maintained. They can also confirm that the vehicle has not gone through any major accidents or breakdowns. As the service book can be falsified, most buyers prefer to take the service history from the garage for verification. Verifying the service history also helps buyers detect tampered or replaced odometers.
If you have relocated or if you use different garages for service, getting a service history can become a problem with paper service records. It can also be time-consuming process. The inability to provide a verifiable service history may result in your getting a lower value than what your car is worth. A DSR solves all these problems and makes things easier for both you and the buyer.
What is a DSR?
Unlike paper service records, a digital service record is maintained in the manufacturer’s computer database. The database keeps the service history of the vehicle, including the mileage and the place and type of service performed. This record is updated whenever the service is carried out at a dealer or an authorised garage.
A car owner or the prospective buyer can easily take a hard copy of the service history from any authorised dealer. Most manufacturers also allow customers to view or print the service history from their web portal.
Why Is A Digital Service History Superior?
A DSR gives you the following advantages.
- It maintains detailed records of your vehicle in a central database.
- You can easily access those records whenever you need it.
- It is more secure when compared to the paper service history, which can be falsified or tampered with.
- It allows manufacturers to send text message or email reminders to you when service is due.
- It makes it easier for you to obtain warranty repairs. New car warranties are subject to proper and timely service. The dealer can instantly validate this if service records can be quickly accessed. The reliability of the system makes the warranty approval process easier for both you and the dealer. You get quicker authorisation for warranty repairs.
- It gives you a better resale value. As every service, MOT and repair is recorded along with mileage, the DSR gives more confidence to the prospective buyer when you wish to sell your car. This translates into better resale value. According to Mazda, the difference can be as high as £1,500 for an average car. You can imagine the difference it could make for high-end cars like the Volkswagen, Mercedes or Audi.
At Volksmaster, we fully support your vehicle’s digital service history. You will get a hard copy of the updated service history and you can verify its accuracy. You can also obtain a copy from an authorised dealer anywhere in the country. If you live in or around Manchester and your car needs a service, call one of our garages in Oldham or Bury for an appointment. Enjoy the benefits of specialist and convenient service, quality spares and friendly staff while getting dealer-equivalent service at a lower cost.